News and Updates (COVID-19)
This page provides a round-up of the latest news, developments and support available for businesses and the self-employed during the coronavirus pandemic.
- £4.6 billion in new lockdown grants to support businesses and protect jobs (5 January 2021)
Businesses in the retail, hospitality and leisure sectors are to receive a one-off grant worth up to £9,000, the Chancellor has announced.
- Prime Minister announces national lockdown (4 January 2021)
The Prime Minister has announced a national lockdown and instructed people to stay at home to control the virus.
- £830 million funding boost for high streets (26 December 2020)
Funding from the Future High Streets Fund to help 72 areas in England to recover from the pandemic and deliver ambitious regeneration plans.
- Prime Minister announces tier 4 in response to new COVID variant (19 December 2020)
The Prime Minister has announced tougher restrictions for large parts of South East England with a new Tier 4: ‘Stay at Home’ alert level.
- Chancellor extends furlough and loan schemes (17 December 2020)
The furlough scheme has been extended until the end of April 2021 with the Government continuing to contribute 80% towards wages.
- London to move into tier 3 restrictions (14 December 2020)
Tier 3 restrictions will apply in all 32 London boroughs and the city of London from the beginning of Wednesday 16 December.
- More than £165 million in repayable finance announced to support major arts and heritage institutions (11 December 2020)
The Government’s £1.57 billion Culture Recovery Fund surpasses £1 billion milestone, with remaining £400 million on the way as plans for a further round of support announced.
- Business evictions ban extended until March (9 December 2020)
Business owners affected by the pandemic will be protected from eviction until the end of March 2021.
- Prime Minister announces £1,000 Christmas grant for ‘wet-led’ pubs (1 December 2020)
The Prime Minister has announced an additional £1,000 Christmas grant for ‘wet-led pubs’ in tiers 2 and 3 that will miss out on much-needed business during the busy Christmas period.
- Health Secretary sets out England’s new coronavirus tier system (26 November 2020)
The Health Secretary has confirmed which areas will fall into which tiers when national restrictions end.
- Prime Minister’s statement on coronavirus (23 November 2020)
The Prime Minister has outlined the Government’s new COVID-19 Winter Plan, which sets out measures for managing COVID-19 through the end of 2020 and into the start of 2021.
- Businesses in England to receive £2.2 billion to see them through national restrictions (13 November 2020)
Small businesses in England will receive £2.2 billion from the Government to help them through the current period of national restrictions.
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) – Support for Businesses and Employers
Support to help businesses and employers respond to COVID-19.
Early Years Sector Business Support – Business Support FAQs
Advice and FAQs regarding business and employment issues for providers during COVID-19.