News and Updates (COVID-19)
This page provides a round-up of the latest news, developments and support available for businesses and the self-employed during the coronavirus pandemic.
- Chancellor increases financial support for businesses and workers (22 October 2020)
In recognition of the challenging times ahead, the Chancellor said he would be increasing support through the existing Job Support and self-employed schemes, and expanding business grants to support companies in high-alert level areas.
- UK Government launches Export Growth Plan to help businesses (16 October 2020)
Government launches Export Growth Plan to help businesses in England build back better following the pandemic.
- Coronavirus update on areas in local COVID alert levels (15 October 2020)
The UK Government has announced that London will move to the high COVID alert level from Saturday 17 October.
- PM statement on coronavirus (12 October 2020)
Prime Minister Boris Johnson has made a statement on coronavirus to the House of Commons.
- Job Support Scheme expanded to firms required to close due to COVID restrictions (9 October 2020)
The Government’s Job Support Scheme will be expanded to protect jobs and support businesses required to close their doors as a result of coronavirus restrictions.
- New JETS employment programme (5 October 2020)
The new JETS (Job Entry Targeted Support) programme is backed by a £238 million investment and is dedicated to supporting those left jobless due to COVID-19.
- New guidance on £9 billion Job Retention Bonus (2 October 2020)
Further information has been published on how businesses can claim the Government’s Job Retention Bonus.
- Major expansion of post-18 education and training to prepare workers for post-COVID economy (29 September 2020)
The Prime Minister has set out plans to transform the training and skills system, making it fit for the 21st century economy, and helping the country build back better from coronavirus.
- Prime Minister’s statement on coronavirus (22 September 2020)
Prime Minister Boris Johnson addressed the nation on coronavirus.
- PM delivers statement on coronavirus (22 September 2020)
The Prime Minister has delivered a statement on coronavirus. The UK Government has asked office workers who can work from home to do so. Hospitality businesses will also be required to close at 10pm from Thursday.
- Hundreds step up to help smaller employers kickstart Britain’s recovery (18 September 2020)
More than 500 bodies have signed up to serve as gateways on the £2 billion programme, providing assistance to employers offering fewer than 30 vacancies under the scheme.
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) – Support for Businesses and Employers
Support to help businesses and employers respond to COVID-19.
Because I’m a Londoner
Citywide campaign to kickstart London's economy.