News and Updates (COVID-19)
This page provides a round-up of the latest news, developments and support available for businesses and the self-employed during the coronavirus pandemic.
- Winter plan to tackle COVID-19 (14 September 2021)
The health secretary has outlined the Government’s plan for tackling COVID-19 during autumn and winter in England.
- End of temporary insolvency measures (9 September 2021)
Temporary measures brought in to support businesses from insolvency during the pandemic will be phased out from 1 October.
- Self-isolation removed for double jabbed close contacts from 16 August (11 August 2021)
From Monday 16 August, people who are double jabbed or aged under 18 will no longer be legally required to self-isolate if they are identified as a close contact of a positive COVID-19 case.
- Government-backed insurance scheme to give boost to events industry (6 August 2021)
A government-backed insurance scheme worth £750 million will support the events industry to plan events with confidence through to next year.
- Daily contact testing expands to 2,000 sites across critical sectors (26 July 2021)
Workplace daily contact testing sites will be expanded to a total of 2,000 sites across the country, with prisons, waste collection and defence among the critical sectors prioritised.
- Food industry Covid testing rolled out to support sector (23 July 2021)
New targeted testing for certain workplaces is being rolled out – with the food industry prioritised, as part of the government’s close engagement with the sector.
- New hospitality strategy to help pubs, bars and restaurants build back better from the pandemic (16 July 2021)
First-ever hospitality strategy launched to support the reopening, recovery and resilience of England’s pubs, bars, restaurants, cafes and nightclubs.
- Secretary of State for Health and Social Care provides an update on step 4 (12 July 2021)
The Health and Social Care Secretary has confirmed the move to the next stage of the roadmap on 19 July.
- Prime Minister sets out plan to ease restrictions at step 4 (5 July 2021)
COVID restrictions are set to end in England from step 4 of the Roadmap after the Prime Minister set out how life will soon return close to normal.
- Lockdown easing delayed until 19 July (14 June 2021)
The final stage of easing lockdown restrictions in England has been delayed until 19 July.
- New ‘We Offer Testing to our Staff’ scheme launched (11 May 2021)
A new scheme for businesses offering workplace testing for staff through NHS Test and Trace has been launched across the UK. It will show customers, employees and the wider public the businesses that are going the extra mile to keep their staff and the public safe.
- A new Queen’s Speech to build back better from the pandemic (8 May 2021)
New laws to ensure the UK builds back better and stronger from the pandemic will be unveiled in next week’s Queen’s Speech.
- New campaign urges public to get tested twice a week (9 April 2021)
From Friday 9 April, everyone in England will be eligible for free rapid COVID-19 tests, twice a week.
- Recovery Loan Scheme launches (6 April 2021)
The Recovery Loan Scheme will ensure businesses continue to benefit from Government-guaranteed finance throughout 2021.
- Further easing of Covid restrictions confirmed for 12 April (5 April 2021)
Outdoor hospitality will be along those reopening in England next week after the Prime Minister confirmed the roadmap is on track and planned easements can go ahead.
Step Four and Working Safely During COVID-19
Advice on working safely during COVID-19.
Step Four and Easing COVID-19 Restrictions
Overview of changes following the move to step four.
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) – Support for Businesses and Employers
Support to help businesses and employers respond to COVID-19.