News and Updates (COVID-19)
This page provides a round-up of the latest news, developments and support available for businesses and the self-employed during the coronavirus pandemic.
- New campaign urges public to get tested twice a week (9 April 2021)
From Friday 9 April, everyone in England will be eligible for free rapid COVID-19 tests, twice a week.
- Recovery Loan Scheme launches (6 April 2021)
The Recovery Loan Scheme will ensure businesses continue to benefit from Government-guaranteed finance throughout 2021.
- Further easing of Covid restrictions confirmed for 12 April (5 April 2021)
Outdoor hospitality will be along those reopening in England next week after the Prime Minister confirmed the roadmap is on track and planned easements can go ahead.
- Workplace testing programme expands to offer free rapid home testing (28 March 2021)
All employers will now be able to offer their employees free, rapid and regular testing that can be taken at home.
- Business rates relief boosted with new £1.5 billion pot (25 March 2021)
New business rates relief fund of £1.5 billion for businesses affected by COVID-19 outside the retail, hospitality and leisure sectors.
- Government extends business support measures (25 March 2021)
The Government has extended temporary insolvency measures providing further support to businesses during the pandemic.
- New raft of measures to prepare high streets for summer (20 March 2021)
Measures to support a safe and successful reopening of highstreets and seaside resorts have been announced by Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick.
- Further support for commercial and residential tenants (10 March 2021)
Ban on commercial evictions extended to 30 June to ensure businesses are supported as they re-open.
- Budget 2021 sets path for recovery (3 March 2021)
The Chancellor has set out a £65 billion three-point plan to provide support for jobs and businesses.
- Prime Minister to publish roadmap for easing COVID restrictions (22 February 2021)
The Prime Minister will set out the Government’s roadmap for cautiously easing lockdown restrictions in England.
- Chancellor eases burden on more than a million businesses through Pay as You Grow flexible repayment options (8 February 2021)
Businesses that took out government-backed Bounce Back Loans to get through COVID-19 will now have greater flexibility to repay their loans.
- Asymptomatic testing to be rolled out across the country (20 January 2021)
Rapid, regular testing for people without symptoms of coronavirus will be made available across the country. Local authorities will be encouraged to target testing at people unable to work from home during the national lockdown.
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) – Support for Businesses and Employers
Support to help businesses and employers respond to COVID-19.
Easing of Lockdown Restrictions
An overview of the Government's plan to ease lockdown restrictions.